Sunday, November 13, 2011

Anything wrong about using songs by Santana for the soundtrack of my film if I submit it to festivals?

It will be shot in Portugal and will have a Latin-type soundtrack so I chose multiple Santana tracks for it. Now if I submit it to festivals etc is this illegal in any way because I have not asked for the records' publishers' permissions?|||Even though your film may be a non-profit making production you must still clear use of copyrighted music. When you enter a festival they should give you the do's and don'ts on the entry form. Here's an actual 'rule' from a festival; "Copyright clearance in all cases is the responsibility of the entrant."





I have entered several festivals (won 5) but always used non-copyright music and there really is some good stuff about, once you buy the CD you can use the tracks as you wish as you have paid 'royalties' with the purchase. You will be surprised at how good a soundtract you can put together from music libraries. I know how you may be feeling as I too would dearly love to fit Mr Santana into one of my movies (check channel Berkcam on YouTube) but it just wouldn't be street legal - shame!





If you need advice on finding non-copyright music drop me a line through YouTube.|||I believe that it would be illegal. In order to use any artists music you need to have their permission and often need to pay them for that permission. Other then that it's also unethical.|||Go here to ask them if you can use the songs and how to have written agreement that it's ok http://www.santana.com/frameset.html


go under contact and select management

No comments:

Post a Comment